Jay's Corner

Hey All - 

Summertime is upon us!  

For the UT students, regular classes at the University are over, but if you would like to do a private lesson with me now and then over the break we can arrange it.

Everything Yields To (correct) Practice!

- Jay

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Lesson - A New Technique

I've been able to manage to practice about 2 hours a day this past week.

The ''note popping'' is a good excercise that I expect to keep in my routine as is reading without looking at the neck. I need a lot of work on the discepline of focusing on the target. I have a tendancy to rush ahead without looking.

The practice of naming note names and scale degrees is a good one for me. It helps me avoid the running of scales/patterns without thinking about anything more than the pattern/scale name and its sound.

This week, Jay raised my awareness of the style of playing I have somewhat developed and how it differs from straight ahead jazz style which I want. Not to say that my learned style is bad, but to recognize its character. I found that it took some effort to eliminate my slip and slide, heavy note bending, ''chicken picken'' sort of style and work on playing more ''straight''. A good practice to help me become more versatile. Trying to fill up the ''bag of tricks''.

I have new voicings and arps to work on this week. Cool stuff.

Thanks Jay,

Bob

No comments: