Jay's Corner

Hey All - 

Summertime is upon us!  

For the UT students, regular classes at the University are over, but if you would like to do a private lesson with me now and then over the break we can arrange it.

Everything Yields To (correct) Practice!

- Jay

Thursday, March 6, 2008

free improv

Hey all, well i have spent the last several days doing what jay had talked about during are gathering, recording small clips of free improve and recording myself over it later. I must say doing this exercise has already taught me ALOT about my playing! one of the most surprising things i learned so far was that just simple playing free i started to find myself falling into predictable patterns and sounds, i disliked this and after some thought on the problem i realized that i really wasn't there yet..that is to say although i thought i was playing improvised i was really just rambling on shapes and sound i already knew. The great awaking came when i decided to make these patterns musical, that is to say i stopped just playing and tried to find the most musical, lyrical, speaking way i could and BAM!! i started to hear things in the music that wasn't there before!!
hopefully you all try this exercises out because it truly helped me hear my playing and improv in a new way.
As well id love to hear some others peoples playings.
cheers
noah

No comments: