Jay's Corner

Hey All - 

Summertime is upon us!  

For the UT students, regular classes at the University are over, but if you would like to do a private lesson with me now and then over the break we can arrange it.

Everything Yields To (correct) Practice!

- Jay

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Lessons and Practice

The practice times are yielding some good results. Note recognition and it's scale degree are improving as is accuracy.

During our meeting last week, Jay layed out a lesson for playing 7 modes of the major scale to be played on one string at a time. At first hearing the modes played, some of them seemed odd sounding. While Jay played the chord(s) that ''fit'' the mode, I was able to hear how the scales blended.

I was impressed again as I realized the value of the ''one string at a time'' method used for this lesson. It helps to force me to ''break'' away from playing scales using (only) patterns as a guide. I am learning note names and scale degrees easier by playing on one string.

I'm managing about two hours a day and trying to get that increased.

Thanks Jay,

Bob Ferraiuolo

No comments: